Cemetery Census
                       Cemetery Records on the Web

Cemetery Census
 

HOME     ABOUT US     CEMETERY LAW      HOW TO HELP

CemeteryCensus.com

Chatham County North Carolina Cemeteries

Other NC County Cemeteries


Brought to you in partnership with
Chatham County Historical Association
http://www.chathamhistory.org

Index of All Cemeteries         Alphabetical Index of All Burials         Previous Page

Use the following to search across all the cemeteries listed.
Example: "Smith,  Roger" (yes, use the quotes)
Search for:

485    TAYLORS CHAPEL - ORIGINAL [R01.4]

      Location - Oakland Township. On south side of SR 2154, Taylors Chapel Road, 0.4 mile east of SR 2153, Rosser Road

      Coordinates: 35d 36m 54.6s N; 79d 13m 45.2s W Click here for Google maps

      On 31 May 1998, Myrtle Ellerby reported to Will and Audrey Heiser that Jack Taylor, the founder of Taylors Chapel, was buried here. This was confirmed later by Ann McCrimmon, and that his wife, Margaret, was also buried here.

      Owner: Trustees.
      Legal Description: Probably between parcel 18307 and parcel 83221. Deed book CH/99, 8 Nov 1879, John "Jack" & Margaret Taylor to Trustees. FB/405, 10 Apr 1914, Robert S. Tysor to Trustees, 2 lots 1.5 and 1.0 acres, mentions church lot and cemetery lot. CH/415, 27 Aug 1889, AJ Bynum to Trustees; one acre, including old Jones, Bryan or Clegg land used for burial place for the colored people.
      Topo Quadrant: Colon.
      Church owned: Yes. Denomination: Baptist.
      Abandoned: Yes.
      Number of graves: Unknown.
      Cemetery size: 100' x 100'.
      Black: Yes.
      Unrestricted access: Yes.
      Not identified explanation: Couldn't locate. Reported by Mrs. Myrtle Ellerby, granddaughter of Jack Taylor, first pastor..
      Enclosed: No.
      Markers: Yes.

      Miscellaneous information: Deed FB-405, 10 Apr 1914, Robert S. Tysor to Trustees, 2 lots, 1.5 and 1.0 acres, mentions church lot and cemetery lot.

      Last canvassed by: Will M. Heiser. Date: 31 May 1998. On 27 Jan 2011 Bev Wiggins and Patty Walters located and photographed fragments of several gravestones on the south shoulder of Taylor's Chapel Rd. Subsequent discussion with Mrs. Annie McCrimmon indicated that when Taylor's Chapel Rd. was paved in the late 1960s or early 1970s, the road construction destroyed the original part of the Taylor's Chapel cemetery. Many of the graves in that part of the cemetery were marked only by fieldstones, but there were some inscribed markers. Only the fragments of markers remain.

      Photos by Bev Wiggins, 27 Jan 2011.


  1. Taylor, John "Jack"   (b. Unknown - d. Unknown)
      • Husband of Margaret Taylor. Founder of Original Taylors Chapel, 1872. Ref: Myrtle Ellerby and Annie McCrimmon.
  2. Taylor, Margaret   (b. Unknown - d. Unknown)
      • Wife of John "Jack" Taylor. Information from Annie McCrimmon.
  3. Unknown, Unknown   (b. 1865 - d. 16 Jan 1880)
  4. Unknown, Unknown   (b. Unknown - d. 1911)
  5. W., S.   (b. Unknown - d. Unknown)
  6. We__, ____y   (b. Unknown - d. Unknown)


Web page updated 13 May 2017


Index of All Cemeteries         Alphabetical Index of All Burials         Previous Page


Contact
This web page is Copyright (c) 1996-2017 Cemetery Census. All Rights Reserved.
All photographs are copyright by the owners of each photograph. Please do not copy the pictures and
upload them to other web sites without permission. Doing so is a violation of United States Copyright Laws.